HOW IT WORKS- OPERATORS
SAFE- Eliminates all the big safety issues REUSE- More than 40% improvement in recovery for reuse RECYCLE- More than 20% improvement in recyclable recovery DIVERSION- More than 8% reduction in waste to Landfill EASY- Recover Materials away from Public SAVINGS- Low costs Pays for itself In just months. QUICK- Operational in Less than 8 weeks HAZARDS- Contains Hazardous materials like Asbestos
After a fatality in 2014 when a member of Public fell into a bin at a sawtooth waste transfer station Shoalhaven City Council (SCC) set about trying to find a solution.
- After the Workcover investigation, they improved barriers, made the cars pull up further away from the bin with Tire stops and bollards and were required to provide more intensive supervision of the public.
- These changes meant the public were on site longer and had to do more lifting and carrying of their waste. New hazards were created.
- In late 2016 SCC trialled the LBin system for 3 Months, the trial has been extended several times. They just don’t want to let it go..
The images below are of the temporary LBin trial installation
- SafeWork NSW Safety Alert: FALLING FROM HEIGHTS AT WASTE MANAGEMENT FACILITIES: http://www.safework.nsw.gov.au/news/safety-alert/falling-from-heights-at-waste-management-facilities
- SCC Presentation at Waste 2017. “Improving Transfer Station Safety and Resource Recovery” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdj8nlag5A&feature=youtu.be